Milton Block, 85 - July 09, 2008
Milton H. Block, 85, of Gothenburg died Monday, June 30, 2008, at Gothenburg.
A memorial service was held on Monday, July 7, at Blase-Strauser Memorial Chapel in Gothenburg with the Rev. Matthew Groenke officiating. Inurnment took place at Ft. McPherson National Cemetery with military honors by members of the Gothenburg Firing Squad.
Block was born northeast of Gothenburg, on Jan. 24, 1923, to Rankey Reakus and Ellen G. (Buesing) Block.
He graduated from Gothenburg High School in 1941 and served his country in the Army from 1945-1946, serving in the Asiatic Pacific.
Block was united in marriage to Wanda Ruth Fleharty on April 3, 1945, at Gothenburg. The couple lived briefly in Tyler, TX, and returned to Gothenburg in 1946 to raise a family.
He was a member of the American Lutheran Church of Gothenburg.
Block enjoyed jigsaw puzzles and going to McDonald’s for breakfast and afternoon coffee, according to family members.
He was preceded in death by: his parents, Rankey and Ellen; his wife, Ruth in 2007.
Survivors include: his son, Dean (Peg) and their children—Heather, Adam and Joshua, all of Omaha; a sister, Delores Streeter of Gothenburg.
Memorials are suggested to the American Lutheran Church, designated for the Oaks Indian Mission in Oklahoma.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.blase strauser.com. Arrangements have been placed in the care of Blase-Strauser Memorial Chapel of Gothenburg.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout