Fatal crash near Overton kills couple
A Canadian couple was killed Thursday afternoon when the vehicle in which they were driving was struck by a semi-trailer truck on Interstate 80 near Overton.
The crash occurred around 2:30 p.m. about four miles west of the Overton exit when a westbound semi crossed the median and struck an eastbound 2009 Nissan Murano, according to Nebraska State Patrol officials.
The passenger vehicle, which was pulling a camper, was struck nearly head-on by the semi and both vehicles coming to rest in the south ditch.
Killed in the crash was Bruce R. McPhail, 74, and his wife, Ruth McPhail, 76, both of Ontario.
Bruce McPhail was the driver of the vehicle. Both occupants of the Nissan were pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.
Two occupants of the semi, Jeremiah Kamau Ngengi, 50, of SeaTac, WA; and John Bradley Seals III, 41, of Charlotte, NC; were both treated and released from the Lexington Regional Health Center.
Seat belts were in use in the passenger vehicle and it’s undetermined if they were used by either occupant of the semi.
The Nebraska State Patrol was assisted at the scene by the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office and Overton Fire & Rescue.
Officials said the cause of the crash remains under investigation.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics