Swedes capture SWC speech title again
Team in tight contest with Ogallala, Minden.
A nail biter to the end.
That’s how Gothenburg High School speech coach Dan Jensen described the Southwest Conference speech contest last Thursday in Ogallala.
Once the points were totalled, the Swedes took home the SWC plaque for the eighth consecutive year after scoring 152 points following a long day of competition.
Ogallala was second with 140 points and Minden third with 130 points.
Jensen said apphrehension is always present when battling for the SWC crown because the conference always offers top-notch competition.
“Anything can happen on any given day,” he said.
For the Swedes, entering finals with 17 competitors was key after two rounds of events. Minden had 14 finalists and Ogallala, 11.
Still, he said the point differential for the final place of each student kept the suspense going as medalists were announced.
“A first-place finish will bring the team six points where a sixth place finish will only score one point,” he explained. “We did not final as well as I would like to in a contest like this. We lost some ground in finals but had enough events in there to finish up on top team-wise.”
First-place medalists were Carlin Daharsh in persuasive speaking, Jordan France in entertainment speaking and the oral interpretation of drama team with Kylee Beyea, Gage Taylor, Trenton Long, Georgina Dishman and Sara Picci.
Eight Swedes earned silver medals.
Jensen said the Swedes have their work cut out for them at district Thursday in Gering with formidable competition from Gering (state runner-up last year), Ogallala, Alliance, Chadron and Sidney.
“The name of the game at districts is to come through with enough qualifiers to make a run at state,” he said.
State speech competition is set for March 27 in Kearney.
2. Ashley Wilkerson, 4. Kayla Trevino
1. Carlin Daharsh, 3. Alayna Collins
6. Kylee Beyea
1. Dylan France, 5. Alayna Collins
5. Dylan France, 6. Abbie Mazour
2. Betsy Potter, 5. Abbie Mazour
2. Betsy Potter, 3. Carlin Daharsh
3. Drake Brand and Brett Mann, 6. Kayla Trevino and Drake Langley
Oral interpretation of drama
1. Kylee Beyea, Gage Taylor, Trenton Long, Georgina Dishman, Sara Picci, 2. Drake Langley, Jett Seimer, Rebecca Riley, Rachel Rice, Ashley Wilkerson
Also participating was Kelsey Kuhlman.
- Money for Meals on Wheels
- Tooting his tuba
- City personnel, committees, boards named
- FDA approved doesn’t guarantee medicines are safe or effective
- Friendly fuel prices hit town
- Gothenburg defense limits Broken Bow to just 21 points
- Upon further review, loss to Cozad wasn’t so bad
- Brady on both sides of blowout