Commissioners elect Stewart as board chairman
LEXINGTON—Dawson County has a new chairman at the helm.
Commissioners elected Bill Stewart of Lexington as the board chairman during their annual statutory meeting Tuesday.
He takes over for Roger Bauer of Overton, who served as chairman for the past year.
Dean Kugler of Gothenburg was elected as vice chairman.
The board also made its annual appointments to county offices—keeping all current employees in place—and Stewart assigned commissioners to their previous committees.
County depositories were selected and include all banks in Dawson County. The Tri-City Tribune will publish legal notices for the coming year and the Lexington Clipper-Herald will print commissioner proceedings.
The board approved 11 courthouse holidays as well.
In other business, commissioners granted two special designated liquor licenses for Wild Horse Golf Club.
Wild Horse pro Don Graham told the board the club house at the golf course is a little small for two upcoming events.
The Gothenburg Memorial Hospital Gala and the Ducks Unlimited banquet have both been hosted by Wild Horse.
Graham said the Monsanto Water Utilization Learning Center has a larger facility that would suit both events better.
The special designated liquor license would allow Graham and golf course employees to serve alcohol at the events at the Monsanto building.
- approved an annual contract with Kimberli Dawson as child support enforcement attorney for $22,318.
- appointed Lydia Loewenstein from Cozad to the Dawson County Visitors Committee.
- agreed to forward a positive recommendation to the state for Austin Thornburg to operate keno as the new owner of the Box Bar in Lexington.
- tabled an agreement with Jeff Wightman and Kenneth Harbison as conflict attorneys until clarification can be made on the dates for the contract and the salary amounts.
- learned the road committee will begin work this month on the one-and six-year road plan to be presented for approval in February.
- Obamacare policyholders question rising deductibles
- North Plains farm labor report shows wages up 3%
- New sand table for Dudley Elementary
- Rebecca Anderson earns world title in showmanship
- Four Swedes earn conference honors
- Chance to be Santa pen pal
- Swedes honored as all-district players
- Prescribed burn schools set for 3 area communities