Class predicts enrollment at 1,000 in 2018
Students in Sharise Scherer’s math analysis class recently put data into their crystal balls.
Taking figures from the last 10 years of first-day enrollment at Gothenburg Public Schools, students then used graphics calculators to find a line that best fit their data.
“We then made predictions to see when our enrollment would reach 1000 students and if the pattern continues,” said Scherer, who is the high school math teacher. “From what we’ve seen the last 10 years, from 2003 to 2013, analysis shows 1,000 students will be reached in year 2018.”
Scherer described the project as using cool data and finding a real-life application for it in the math analysis classes.
She noted that the linear equation had a slope of 11 which meant, on the average, that the district gained 11 students per year over 10-year period.
- Luncheon Carolers
- Eagles grounded
- Brady bounces Paxton, Twin Loup
- Brady school board working through superintendent search
- Generous donations push Shares fund closer to the top
- Reeves named to OWH All-Nebraska first team
- County board agrees to remodeling bids
- Swede girls get confidence and a win at Grant