Summer rec program to have earlier start
Registration forms for the Gothenburg summer rec baseball and softball teams are showing up early this year in hopes that more practice time makes for better programs, at least for older players.
City rec director Scott Foster said registration forms are now available at Dudley Elementary and the Gothenburg city office.
Pushing earlier registration and team formation should allow better organization, he said.
“We were getting so many last-minute registrations, especially in softball, that we sometimes ended up with too many kids on a team and that meant less playing time,” Foster said.
Deadlines have been moved up as well so teams can be finalized earlier and practices could start before school is out if coaches desire.
Early registration with a $5 savings in fees runs through April 19. Registrations will be accepted through May 3, Foster said, but anyone submitting after that is not guaranteed a spot.
“We want to finalize teams in May to give coaches the option of a little more practice time,” he said.
The early deadline also allows Foster more time to recruit coaches.
“We are always looking for coaches,” he said. “This way we can get that ironed out earlier.”
For more information on the summer rec program, contact Foster at 529-1035.
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC