Wrestlers pull out 42-40 dual victory
When injuries came up and a couple of regular varsity wrestlers missed out on a dual with Hershey Thursday night, Swede coach Tom Scott knew it would be tough for his team to beat the Panthers on the mat.
But Hershey gave up four open weights and the Swedes were able to pull out a close 42-40 victory.
The turning point came during the 182-pound match between Swede senior Dalton Goodwin and Hershey’s Matt McGahan.
Goodwin was leading the match 3-0 midway through the third period when McGahan made a slight error and Goodwin capitalized.
Goodwin managed a pin with 1:04 left in the match.
“Had Dalton won by decision, we would have dropped the dual,” Scott said. “But because he got the pin, we won by two points.”
Other Swedes to wrestle to victories were Preston Franzen at 160 pounds and Skyler Kottwitz at 170.
Both boys pinned their Panther opponents.
Scott said it was a good dual win for the Swedes as the season winds to a close.
- Swedes’ swinging keeps students singing
- She’s grand marshal of festival
- Park playground equipment in the works
- Eagles open with loss
- Swedes run in two meets, race once
- McCook defense upends Gothenburg softball squad
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Livestock producers urged to enroll for disaster assistance by Sept. 30