No more burn permits
At least until snow flies
As a tinder-dry summer slips into a parched fall, local fire chief Mark Ballmer said the department is not issuing any burn permits in or outside city limits.
Last week, yet another area fire erupted near Paxton because of dry conditions.
“There were 15 departments there and we were on stand-by,” Ballmer said.
Most likely, no more burn permits will be issued until there’s snow cover, he said.
“And we feel it’s safe.”
Local News Slideshow
- Fun day at Block farm
- 600 bicyclists pedaling into town June 4
- Co. officer hired for floodplain duties
- Minister keynote speaker at Memorial Day service
- Village moves ahead with well repairs
- Brady students receive recognition
- Scottsbluff claims Dist. B-4 golf title
- Variety of ways offered to support Relay For Life