The Flames of Nebraska, a 10-and-under girls fastpitch softball team that includes two Gothenburg players, finished first at the 2012 Firecracker Tournament on July 7-8 in Central City. Montannia Courtney and Cheyann Courtney combined to pitch a no-hitter in the Flames’s first win over Grand Island Synergy White 11-3. The girls then defeated Grand Island Synergy Blue 11-2 to advance for a rematch with Synergy Blue in the championship. The Flames won 13-3 with the Courtney sisters again pitching a no-hitter. Pictured are, l-r: Front—Elsie Hastings, Cheyann Courtney, Morgan Hein, Sadie Carpenter; Back—Montannia Courtney, Andria Finnegan, Alyssa Shepherd, Shaye Porter, Savannah Harper and Cora Hastings.
- ‘The Big, Bad Musical’ comes to Brady stage
- Swedes edge Ogallala by one
- Backyard BBQ new event at contest
- Term limits, health issues bring about Sen. Wightman’s last legislative session
- Ehmen Park awarded state designation
- Hefty city purchase will pay off over time
- Two new employees join GSB
- Swede boys place fourth at Dutch Zorn Invite.