Elderly couple loses home to fire
Pet dog perishes of smoke inhalation.
Called out on the hottest day of the summer so far, Gothenburg Volunteer fire fighters donned heavy gear to fight a house fire Wednesday.
Temperatures were well above 100 degrees when the crew arrived at the home of Harvey and Betty Wing, 218 Ninth St., about 6 p.m.“The fire was already exposed (outside) of the back and the side of the house when we got there,” Ballmer said. “It got air and was going good.”
Before their arrival, the fire chief said neighbors had called in the fire and helped 80-year-old Harvey out of the home. His wife, Betty, and a younger relative also escaped unharmed. However a pet dog, later found near the front door, died of smoke inhalation, he said.
Ballmer described the house as totalled because of extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the house.
He attributed old wiring, that was overloaded, as the cause of the fire.
“There was too much demand than what the electrical system was set up for,” Ballmer said.
American Red Cross officials took the Wings to a local motel to stay for a few days until more permanent housing can be obtained.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair