Senior golfer qualifies for state meet
Liz Graham to play in G.I. for first time.
KEARNEY—Gothenburg senior Elizabeth Graham punched her first ticket to the state golf meet during a battle against the elements at the C-4 district at Meadowlark Hills in Kearney last week.
Graham had a solid first nine in cold and windy early-morning conditions, said Swede coach Jim Henke. She shot 47 on the front.
“Liz struggled a little putting on the back nine but avoided any major disaster,” Henke said.
Graham carded 55 on the back nine for a 102 total and eighth place in the district.
The Swedes combined for a score of 463 to finish in fifth place, just 11 strokes from qualifying as a team.
Minden took the championship trophy with a 391 total followed by last year’s Class C state champion Kearney Catholic at 411 and St. Paul in third at 453.
The top three teams and first 10 individuals qualified for the Class C state meet at Riverside Golf Course in Grand Island. Due to weather, the meet was shortened from two 18-hole rounds on Monday and Tuesday to one round Tuesday. Results were not available before press time.
Henke said the Swedes gave a great team effort at the district meet.
“The weather conditions had a big effect on the overall individual and team scores,” Henke said. “It was certainly a test to see who could hold up for six hours of stressful competition in the cold and the wind.”
Sidney Thompson and Haley Scheidt finished 17th and 19th respectively out of 57 players with scores of 114 and 117.
“I was proud of all the girls for their effort,” Henke said.
1. Minden 391; 2. Kearney Catholic 411; 3. St. Paul 453; 4. Wood River 453; 5. Gothenburg 463; 6. Ravenna 507; 7. Gibbon 515; 8. Loup City 524; 9. Broken Bow 540; 10. Cozad 558; 11. Superior 582; Burwell and Centura, no team score.
TOP 10 GOLFERS
1. Allison VenJohn, KC 84
2. Allison Exstrom, Minden 85
3. Shelby Stone, St. Paul 86
4. Jenna Woitaszewski, Wood River 99
5. McKenzie Marshall, KC 99
6. Laynee Woodward, Minden 101
7. Morgan Kristensen, Minden 102
8. Elizabeth Graham, Gothenburg 102
9. Heather Anderson, Minden 103
10. Alexandra Giddings, Gibbon 105
Elizabeth Graham 47-55—102
Sidney Thompson 56-58—114
Haley Scheidt 59-58—117
Heidi Teahon 68-62—130
Jourdan Matthies 67-66—133
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC