Four Melons lead West to all-star win
KEARNEY—Four Gothenburg players contributed to a West squad win in the Mid-Nebraska Baseball League’s All-Star Game at Memorial Field in Kearney on July 6.
Cody Ostergard, Tannor Mroczek, Tré Ostergard and Tanner Schwanz all took part in the West’s comeback from a 10-0 deficit after four innings to a 16-13 victory.
Cody Ostergard started for the West at shortstop and Mroczek was in right field.
Each went 0-for-1 at the plate.
Defensively, Cody Ostergard made a play in the third inning to end the East’s threat with bases loaded and a 10-run lead.
Schwanz came in at second base in the sixth inning. He was 1-for-2 batting with a triple in the ninth.
He also made a big defensive play, throwing out an East runner at the plate in the fifth inning.
Tré Ostergard pitched in relief beginning in the fourth inning, throwing three strikeouts with no walks and allowing only one earned run on six East hits.
At the plate, Tré was 3-for-4 with two singles and a three-run home run in the seventh inning for a total of five RBIs.
The West was coached by Joe Callihan, Jerry Pomplun and Mark Freburg. The team included players from Ogallala, Broken Bow, Cozad, Gothenburg, McCook and Holdrege.
East players came from Grand Island, Central City, Lexington, St. Paul, Aurora and Kearney.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates