Four Melons lead West to all-star win
KEARNEY—Four Gothenburg players contributed to a West squad win in the Mid-Nebraska Baseball League’s All-Star Game at Memorial Field in Kearney on July 6.
Cody Ostergard, Tannor Mroczek, Tré Ostergard and Tanner Schwanz all took part in the West’s comeback from a 10-0 deficit after four innings to a 16-13 victory.
Cody Ostergard started for the West at shortstop and Mroczek was in right field.
Each went 0-for-1 at the plate.
Defensively, Cody Ostergard made a play in the third inning to end the East’s threat with bases loaded and a 10-run lead.
Schwanz came in at second base in the sixth inning. He was 1-for-2 batting with a triple in the ninth.
He also made a big defensive play, throwing out an East runner at the plate in the fifth inning.
Tré Ostergard pitched in relief beginning in the fourth inning, throwing three strikeouts with no walks and allowing only one earned run on six East hits.
At the plate, Tré was 3-for-4 with two singles and a three-run home run in the seventh inning for a total of five RBIs.
The West was coached by Joe Callihan, Jerry Pomplun and Mark Freburg. The team included players from Ogallala, Broken Bow, Cozad, Gothenburg, McCook and Holdrege.
East players came from Grand Island, Central City, Lexington, St. Paul, Aurora and Kearney.
- Day care center in church gets special permit
- Husker Heritage tourney returns July 18 with new name
- Borchardt ends career with all-class gold
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Input of farmers’ sought for ’15 crops
- Doctor to join GMH after residency
- After tornado cuts swath through downtown, what do you do?
- ‘Ugly corner’ improvements move forward with city council action