Attic fire damages home
A fire that started in an attic damaged the home of a Gothenburg family June 11.
Fire chief Mark Ballmer said the Gothenburg Fire Department was to the home of Diane James at 524 22nd Street at about 3:30 p.m.
When fire fighters arrived, Ballmer said there was a blaze in the attic and they worked on extinguishing hot spots in the insulation.
“No one had been home all day and they returned to the smell of smoke,” he said.
Fire retardant on the insulation slowed the spread of the fire which allowed the department to pinpoint the location of the blaze which prevented a major fire, Ballmer said.
Because of damage to the bathroom ceiling, insulation and rafter that was burned through, the fire chief estimated damage to be approximately $4,000 to $5,000 after cleanup.
Ballmer said there were no injuries.
The cause of the fire was electrical overload, he said.
“What we can learn from this is not overload circuits and to match bulb size with the fixture rating,” Ballmer explained. “And, if you’re having problems with throwing breakers or blowing fuses, you need to have an electrician check things out.”
- Blauvelt learns it’s okay not to be perfect parent
- Pipelines fill stock tanks in rolling hills
- Memorial Day services set at city cemetery
- PASS THE BOOTS
- Messersmith makes the cut for state
- McCook Community College recognizes two Brady graduates
- Village board looking to enzyme to battle grease
- Tim Strauser installed as funeral directors president