Students compete at annual poetry slam
Gothenburg High School sophomore Maddy Costello took top honors at the school’s fourth annual poetry slam , a competition where students recite read or recite original and sometimes others’ works.
GHS English teacher Roxanne Whiting started the competition four years ago.
This year, 26 students participated in the event on April 19 at Deb’s Bakery, Diner & Donuts shop.
Costello recited “School is Cool”.
Second place was a tie between Rebecca Stevens, who recited “Home of the Brave,” and Morgan Kowalewski who quoted a poem titled “Soup.”
Third place went to Alex Spencer who recited an untitled poem about his faith.
Whiting said this year was the first the event was opened to the school instead of just her English classes.
She said most of the students were sophomores although seniors competed as well as a freshman and a junior high student.
- ‘The Big, Bad Musical’ comes to Brady stage
- Swedes edge Ogallala by one
- Backyard BBQ new event at contest
- Term limits, health issues bring about Sen. Wightman’s last legislative session
- Ehmen Park awarded state designation
- Hefty city purchase will pay off over time
- Two new employees join GSB
- Swede boys place fourth at Dutch Zorn Invite.