Students compete at annual poetry slam
Gothenburg High School sophomore Maddy Costello took top honors at the school’s fourth annual poetry slam , a competition where students recite read or recite original and sometimes others’ works.
GHS English teacher Roxanne Whiting started the competition four years ago.
This year, 26 students participated in the event on April 19 at Deb’s Bakery, Diner & Donuts shop.
Costello recited “School is Cool”.
Second place was a tie between Rebecca Stevens, who recited “Home of the Brave,” and Morgan Kowalewski who quoted a poem titled “Soup.”
Third place went to Alex Spencer who recited an untitled poem about his faith.
Whiting said this year was the first the event was opened to the school instead of just her English classes.
She said most of the students were sophomores although seniors competed as well as a freshman and a junior high student.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics