McCook rally buries Swede softball squad
A huge sixth inning powered McCook to a 9-2 win over Gothenburg in softball action Thursday.
“We played good softball for five and a half innings,” Swede coach Roger Neujahr said. “I’m not sure what happened after that.
“We played good softball against a good team and then just fell apart in the last half inning.”
Gothenburg owned a lead for one inning after scoring a solo run in the first. Roni Putnam walked, advanced on a sacrifice and came home on Karen Franzen’s single to right field.
That was it for the Swedes until they plated another single run in the fifth frame. Payton Prall led off with a single before coming home on a two-out single by KaTrina Winter.
McCook, now 9-2 on the year, scored two runs in the second inning and gained a 3-1 lead after three. The Swedes were within striking distance going into the bottom of the sixth. The Bison cut loose for five hits, including a bases-loaded double, and five runs.
Gothenburg needed a big rally in the seventh but gained just a single hit.
Amanda Barkmeier went the distance on the mound for the Swedes. Franzen paced the hitting attack with two singles.
Find complete individual stats in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates