Melons contribute to all-star victory
Mayher, Haake and Ostergard play on West squad.
Three Gothenburg Melons contributed to a 12-3 victory by the West squad in the fourth annual Mid-Nebraska Baseball League All-Star game Thursday night at Kearney’s Memorial Field.
Players on the West blue squad were collected from Ogallala, Broken Bow, Cozad, McCook, Holdrege and Gothenburg.
Ben Mayher knocked in the first run of the game for the West on an RBI single to right-center field in the top of the first inning, then scored the second run of the game on a base hit by Mitch Norman of Ogallala.
Mayher went 2-for-3 at the plate with two singles, one RBI and one run. He played first base.
Landen Haake started as catcher for the West. He was 1-for-2 at the plate but reached both times—on a fielder’s choice in the first inning and a single in the third.
Haake was also in on a double play in the fourth inning when the East had runners on second and third bases. With one out, Derek Gaston of Broken Bow caught a fly ball in right field and fired a throw to Haake at the plate who got the runner coming home.
Tre Ostergard played third base for two innings before closing out the evening on the mound allowing no hits.
Ostergard recorded four strikeouts, two walks and one earned run. At the plate he was 0-for-2.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics