Taking poetry on the road
POETRY SLAM: Roxanne Whiting’s English class performed round two of a poetry slam recently at Deb’s Bakery, Diner & Donuts where students act out poetry they write or select from other authors. Whiting said 65 students were in round one. That was whittled to the 20 who performed at the donut shop. Five will advance to finals at Stone Hearth Estates where Josh Clark was declared the winner by judges who decide who advances and who wins. Last year’s slam winner was Lauren Schmiett who returned this year as slam master.
Pictured (right) are judges (clockwise from foreground) Schmiett, AJ Whiting, resource teacher Carol Keiser, Becki Wardyn and Nikki Brand. Left, Mackenzie Brand performs. This was the third year of the contest that Whiting said is a competitive art of performance poetry that takes place in coffeehouses and bars across the nation.
- Hefty city purchase will pay off over time
- Two new employees join GSB
- Swede boys place fourth at Dutch Zorn Invite.
- Gothenburg Youth Trap Club taking aim at state
- Eagles perform well in tough meet
- GHS Sports Schedule 2013-14
- Calf branding tips keeping BQA in mind
- FFA banquet celebration of accomplishments