Betty May Adkins, 82 - December 31, 1969
Betty May Adkins, 82, of North Platte died Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012, at Linden Court.
Services will take place at 20 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, at Adams & Swanson Funeral Home with the Rev. Polly Deppen officiating. Burial will be at Fort McPherson National Cemetery near Maxwell.
Adkins was born on April 19, 1929, at Eustis to Emeal and Edna (Uhlig) Volkman.
She graduated from Eustis High School, then graduated from Kearney State College with her teaching degree.
On April 11, 1950, she married Willard Adkins at North Platte. The couple moved to North Platte in 1969 where she taught fifth grade for the North Platte Public Schools, at Jefferson School. She taught for 21 years with North Platte Public Schools, retiring in 1990.
She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, the Eastern Star, DOES, the American Legion Auxiliary and a retired NEA-NSEA.
Adkins was preceded in death by: her parents, Emeal and Edna; her husband, Willard on April 15, 1988; a son, Gary on Dec. 28, 1990; brothers—Burdette Volkman in 1987, and Gene Volkman in 2009.
Survivors include: her a daughter, Becky (Roger) Erb of North Platte; daughter-in-law, Cindy Adkins of York; six grandchildren—Curtis (Kristen) Adkins, Janeen Adkins, Samuel Erb, Clinton (Tara) Erb, Shyanne Erb and Claire-Lise Erb; five great-grandchildren—Josephine Erb, Rayee Moerke, Evan Adkins, Shakira Erb and Cruz Adkins Sanders; numerous other family members.
A memorial has been established.
- Consultant retained for Lake Helen City engineer finalizing design
- Surveys reveal BBQ challenge successful
- Tears, laughter, dancing highlight GHS graduation
- ‘Circle of Friends’ said to be successful
- Tiani Reeves leads a group of five Swede state qualifiers
- Swedes place 8th at Cozad Invitational
- Golfers improve on West Wind course
- Legion baseball season begins May 23