Arthur Herndon, 97 - August 21, 2011
Arthur Herndon, 97, of Gothenburg, formerly of Moorefield, died Aug. 21, 2011, at Hilltop Estates in Gothenburg.
Graveside services were conducted at Moorefield Cemetery on Saturday, Aug. 27.
Herndon was born July 28, 1914, in Moorefield to Lewis and Vella (Todd) Herndon. He attended country school graduating the eighth grade from Pleasant Ridge.
He married Velna Worley on July 7, 1934, in Oberlin, KS. To this union, five sons were born. They farmed around the Moorefield area until 1988 when they moved to North Platte. In 2007, he moved to Hilltop Estates in Gothenburg.
Herndon served on the Moorefield Cemetery Board for many years. He was a ham radio operator and enjoyed hunting, fishing and flying small airplanes.
He was preceded in death by: his parents, Lewis and Vella; his wife, Velna in 1995; three sons—Homer Lee, Harold and Del.
?Survivors include: two sons—Fay (Linda) Herndon of North Platte and Joe (Patti) Herndon of Gothenburg; daughter-in-law Jane Herndon of Gothenburg; sister Vernell Baker of North Platte; sister-in-law Wilma White of North Platte; 13 grandchildren, 33 great-grandchildren and 16 great-great-grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers memorials are suggested to the Moorefield Cemetery, Hilltop Estates and the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC