Lightning causes hay bale fire at Hecox farm
Fire fighters out in wee hours
Fire from a lightning strike wasn’t the only thing calling out the Gothenburg Volunteer Fire Department during the early morning hours Tuesday.
While battling wind, rain and lightning, fire fighters also attended to an overturned semi-trailer truck on Interstate 80 and responded to a fire alarm at Parker Tech Seal Division.
Mark Ballmer, fire chief, said the department was called west of the Pat and Deb Hecox farm at 2:30 a.m. where lightning had struck and caused a fire that damaged or destroyed about 200 large, square bales.
Ballmer estimated damage at around $40,000.
The call came in around 2:30 a.m. and fire fighters returned to the fire hall and put away trucks and equipment.
Then came the call for the overturned semi where there were no injuries, Ballmer said, followed by the false alarm at Parker Tech.
- Money for Meals on Wheels
- Tooting his tuba
- City personnel, committees, boards named
- FDA approved doesn’t guarantee medicines are safe or effective
- Friendly fuel prices hit town
- Gothenburg defense limits Broken Bow to just 21 points
- Upon further review, loss to Cozad wasn’t so bad
- Brady on both sides of blowout