Lightning causes hay bale fire at Hecox farm
Fire fighters out in wee hours
Fire from a lightning strike wasn’t the only thing calling out the Gothenburg Volunteer Fire Department during the early morning hours Tuesday.
While battling wind, rain and lightning, fire fighters also attended to an overturned semi-trailer truck on Interstate 80 and responded to a fire alarm at Parker Tech Seal Division.
Mark Ballmer, fire chief, said the department was called west of the Pat and Deb Hecox farm at 2:30 a.m. where lightning had struck and caused a fire that damaged or destroyed about 200 large, square bales.
Ballmer estimated damage at around $40,000.
The call came in around 2:30 a.m. and fire fighters returned to the fire hall and put away trucks and equipment.
Then came the call for the overturned semi where there were no injuries, Ballmer said, followed by the false alarm at Parker Tech.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair