SWC speech title is 7th consecutive
Swedes in tight contest with Minden, Ogallala.
Gothenburg speech team adviser Dan Jensen never feels at ease at the Southwest Conference speech contest.
And March 5 was no exception.“It’s something about the smaller number of schools with concentrated entries,” Jensen said. “Those can literally allow anything to happen at this contest as well as at districts.”
Going into finals, the Swedes had the most finalists in the two-round contest with 15. Minden had 14 and Ogallala 11.
“That certainly set us up nicely but our kids needed to generally score better than the other two schools to pull off the win,” he said.
When the rounds were over and medals awarded, the Swedes came out on top—for the seventh consecutive year—with 137 points.
Minden garnered 118 points and Ogallala, 106.
Rounding out the competition were: Valentine, 74; Ainsworth, 73; Broken Bow, 68; and Cozad, 46.
Jensen said he was proud of the team.
“They performed their best every chance they got and found that perfect balance between confidence and humility that gave us an edge,” he said.
As always, there were disappointments when not all of the Swedes finaled.
“Those were the students who went on to support and encourage their teammates,” Jensen said, noting that the team created a positive atmosphere. “And I attribute a lot of our success to that.”
In individual competition, Madison Costello was a double winner in both persuasive and informative speaking.
Betsy Potter took first in serious prose as did the oral interpretation team made up of Ashley Wilkerson, Rachel Rice, Kennedy Wahlgren and Rebecca Miller.
On Tuesday, Gothenburg competed at the District B5 contest in Minden where the team competed against Minden, Adams Central, Aurora, Broken Bow, Cozad, Holdrege and Grand Island Northwest. Results were not available by press deadline.
Other medalists were:
2. Jon Rehmert, 4. Ashley Wilkerson
3. Jon Rehmert
2. Carlin Daharsh
2. Amanda Kowalewski
4. Abbie Mazour, 5. Drake Brand
3. Abbie Mazour
2. Carlin Daharsh
2. Drake Brand and Brett Mann
Oral interpretation of drama
6. Morgan Kowalewski, Alayna Collins, Amanda Larson, Brett Mann, Carlie Stevens
- Obamacare policyholders question rising deductibles
- North Plains farm labor report shows wages up 3%
- New sand table for Dudley Elementary
- Rebecca Anderson earns world title in showmanship
- Four Swedes earn conference honors
- Chance to be Santa pen pal
- Swedes honored as all-district players
- Prescribed burn schools set for 3 area communities