Eight in winner’s circle at NP speech meet
The Swedes finished off their regular speech season Saturday in North Platte with eight competitors earning gold medals.
Nineteen schools attended the “Best of the West” contest.
Speech team adviser Dan Jensen said he was happy with the results, noting that most of the students had a fun day and returned home feeling confident.
“That’s just where we want to be as we move into conference and districts,” Jensen said.
Varsity students competed at the Southwest Conference meet Tuesday in Cozad. Results were not known by the press deadline.
On March 12, the team travels to Minden for district competition.
“This week and the next will offer very challenging competition,” he said.
At the varsity meet, Carlin Daharsh was a double winner in both extemporaneous and informative speaking as was Brett Mann, who teamed up with fellow junior Drake Brand to win duet acting.
Mann was also part of the winning oral interpretation of drama team that performed, “All I Want to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.”
Other members of the team are Morgan Kowalewski, Carlie Stevens, Alayna Collins and Amanda Larson.
Rachel Rice won gold in serious prose.
The Swedes also won two individual silver and three third-place medals in events.
Besides Gothenburg, schools competing at the meet were North Platte, Kearney, Valentine, Chase County, Keya Paha County, Broken Bow, Ogallala, Grand Island Northwest, Sutherland, Hastings, Maxwell, Wallace, North Platte St. Pat’s, Lexington, Grand Island Senior High, Loup City, Hershey and South Platte.
Other results included:
2. Ashley Wilkerson, 4. Jon Rehmert, 8. Abbie Mazour, 10. Kayla Trevino, 11. Roman Schmidt
3. Alayna Collins, 4. Jon Rehmert, 5. Madison Costello
2. Kylee Beyea, 9. Rachel Rice, 10. Kennedy Wahlgren
4. Amanda Kowalewski, 7. Rebecca Miller, 9. Dylan France
3. Abbie Mazour, 5. Drake Brand, 6. Jacob Boehle, 7. Jon Rehmert, 11. Brett Mann
7. Abbie Mazour, 8. Kennedy Wahlgren
7. Madison Costello, 8. Carlin Daharsh, 9. Morgan Kowalewski
3. Jett Seimer and Joseph Darling, 5. Alayna Collins and Amanda Kowalewski, 8. Kayla Trevino and Carlie Stevens, 11. Amanda Larson and Morgan Kowalewski
Oral interpretation of drama
5. Ashley Wilkerson, Rachel Rice, Rebecca Miller, Kennedy Wahlgren
Also competing were Kristin Bartlett, Jessica Schmidt, Drake Langley and Betsy Potter.
- SERVICE IN JEOPARDY
- Winning team repeats in scramble
- Study shares ways to grow housing
- Peddlers in the park
- Lifeguards host annual swim carnival
- Trinity Lutheran construction to begin Construction.
- Commissioners discuss late bill privately, approve lake trail addition
- Brady school student numbers grow slightly