Haake earns Huskerland honor
Gothenburg High School football coach Craig Haake has been named the Class C-1 Mike Behrens Coach of the Year for 2012 by Huskerland Prep magazine.
The award is given to one coach in each class, honoring head coaches who have led their teams to great seasons though falling short of a state title.
Haake has coached for 25 years including two as assistant at Stuart, four as assistant at Gothenburg, seven as co-head coach at Gothenburg and 12 as head coach of the Swedes.
This year’s Swede record was 6-5, including two shutout wins in the state playoffs. Haake’s career record at Gothenburg is 107-85.
Haake told Huskerland Prep that the key to his team’s success is great leaders who put team chemistry first.
“We were young and talented but needed time to develop and we needed to be shown how it’s done,” Haake said.
The highlight of the season, he said, was being one of the final eight teams in Class C-1.
“It was a great achievement considering we suited up 14 upperclassmen and nine sophomores at the end of the year.”
- Ehmen relative donates relics to local museum
- With help of Gothenburg teen, near-death experience ends OK
- Healthcare concerns
- Resident gets permit for taller fence
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Rural Nebraskans’ optimism up this year
- Runners taking it one step at a time
- Gothenburg hitters pound opposing pitchers at Lex Invite