Girls handle pressure but miss opportunities
NORTH PLATTE—The North Platte St. Pat’s Irish girls pulled off their full-court press against Gothenburg Thursday night because the Swedes were handling it so well.
“I think their coach was worried about us getting transition buckets,” said Gothenburg coach Chris Lecher.
The opportunities were there, he said, but the Swedes couldn’t capitalize on them as the state-ranked Irish made quick work of Gothenburg winning 58-37.
“We have to start being more aggressive offensively,” Lecher said.
One example of a missed opportunity came at the end of the first quarter. Trailing 13-7, the Swedes had an open three-pointer but missed. St. Pat’s picked up the rebound and a transition bucket for a 15-7 first quarter lead.
“That took the wind right out of our sails,” Lecher said.
Jacey Wiggins led Gothenburg’s scoring with 12 points while Regan Geiken added 11.
- Area News Digest
- Swim team succeeds at Minden
- Fleetwood Mac tribute band headlines fair
- Dredging project continues at Jeffrey Lake
- UNL leading crop productivity research project
- Concert, color run, rodeo all part of Fourth of July events
- Offensive woes continue for senior melons
- Pony Express Re-ride