Golfers card best 18-hole round at SWC
Gothenburg’s golfers shot their best 18-hole team score of the season on Friday during the Southwest Conference meet at Wild Horse Golf Club.
With three girls finishing in the top 15 for medals, the Swedes pulled together a 402 to finish fourth in the conference.
Had it not been for a scorecard tie-breaker, Gothenburg would have had four in the medals.
Heidi Teahon and Andrea Coder tied for ninth with solid rounds of 97. Coder shot a personal best 42 on the front nine.
Mallory McCoy and McKinley Harm also tied with scores of 104. McCoy got in the medals at 14th but the tie-breaker left Harm at 16th.
Ogallala took the team championship with 353 and four of six golfers in the top 15.
Maaika Mestl of Ogallala was the individual champion. She shot 40 on the front nine and 41 on the back for the winning 81 total.
Valentine was second at 393.
“The girls felt very confident about their golf games heading into the conference meet,” said Swede coach Tara Foster. “We’ve been hitting the ball well and working on course management, which is key to a low scoring round.”
- ‘The Big, Bad Musical’ comes to Brady stage
- Swedes edge Ogallala by one
- Backyard BBQ new event at contest
- Term limits, health issues bring about Sen. Wightman’s last legislative session
- Ehmen Park awarded state designation
- Hefty city purchase will pay off over time
- Two new employees join GSB
- Swede boys place fourth at Dutch Zorn Invite.