Runners finish middle of the pack
UNK Invite a preview of state meet
KEARNEY—Running at the Kearney Country Club during the University of Nebraska at Kearney Invite on Monday gave members of the Swede cross country team a preview of what the state meet will be like.
“But we’ve got to make it there first,” said Gothenburg coach Steve Reeves.
Both the Swede girls and the boys finished near the middle of the pack in the Class C portion of the race on the same course as the state meet.
The boys, Reeves said, ran fairly well to finish 15th as a team.
“I think they’re doing a better job of sticking together and moving up,” the coach said.
The girls were 12th as a team, coming in behind several teams they had previously beaten.
“I didn’t feel like the girls competed at the same level they did in Minden,” Reeves said. “It was a situation where we got beat by four or five district schools. We’re definitely going to have to do better down the road.”
None of the Swede runners earned medals among the top 15.
Gothenburg competes at home Thursday, with the girls’ race beginning at 4 p.m. at Wild Horse Golf Club.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics