Wind, rain hinder golfers at state meet
Graham finishes season carding 106 at Grand Island.
GRAND ISLAND—The nasty weather that plagued high school golf toward the end of the fall season continued through the Class C state tournament in Grand Island last week.
Shortened from two 18-hole days on Monday and Tuesday, the state tournament at Riverside Golf Club was just one day of 33-degree weather with a stiff breeze causing wind chills in the 20s.“Getting acclimated with gloves, hand warmers and proper layers to allow for a non-restricted swing were part of the morning’s preparation,” said Gothenburg golf coach Jim Henke.
The Swedes’ only state qualifier Elizabeth Graham struggled to find a rhythm on the first three holes but Henke said she settled in and played well until a little trouble hit again on hole No. 9.
On the back nine, weather wreaked more havoc as players had to endure heavy sleet on holes 12, 13 and 14.
“Liz played the back nine pretty much the same with early struggle, then good solid play, then trouble at the end,” Henke said.
Graham finished the day with a score of 106, 16 strokes outside of a state medal.
Danielle Lemek of Doniphan-Trumbull won the Class C individual title with a score of 75. Brooke Bolin of Boone Central was runner-up carding 78.
Boone Central earned the Class C championship trophy with three medalists and a team total of 363. Last year’s champion Kearney Catholic finished second with 376.
Southwest Conference golfers Claire Kozisek of Ainsworth and Allison Exstrom of Minden earned state medals in fourth and 11th place, respectively.
Henke said despite the frustration caused by the elements, Graham maintained a positive attitude throughout the meet.
“Obviously she enjoyed the competition and the interaction with her competitors and coaches,” he said. “Liz is good at golf but she also has great ambassador skills. I have been very proud of how she has represented our team and our school.”
Graham will graduate in the spring along with fellow team members Sidney Thompson and Haley Scheidt.
1. Boone Central 363; 2. Kearney Catholic 376; 3. Grand Island Central Catholic 382; 4. Minden 392; 5. Columbus Scotus 402; 6. Omaha Brownell-Talbot 407; 7. St. Paul 411; 8. Bridgeport 413; 9. Crofton 414; 10. Chadron 428; 11. Norfolk Catholic 429; 12. Stanton 438; 13. Wahoo 448; 14. Hershey 456; 15. Auburn 475.
TOP 15 GOLFERS
1. Danielle Lemek, Don-Trum 75
2. Brooke Bolin, Boone Central 78
3. Shelby Stone, St. Paul 79
4. Claire Kozisek, Ainsworth 81
5. JaCee Pilkington, Bayard 84
6. Britany Seda, Boone Central 85
7. Stephanie Rodgers, Syracuse 86
7. Allison VenJohn, Kearney Cath 86
7. Jacy Gasper, Columbus Scotus 86
7. Brittney Dinkel, Pierce 86
11. Allison Exstrom, Minden 87
11. Molly Zavadil, Crofton 87
11. Amy Ahlers, Boone Central 87
14. Michaela Ostdiek, GICC 89
15. Brittney Peterson, Wayne 90