50 years as a priest celebrated
The Rev. Don O’Brien, pastor of Our Lady of Good Counsel of Gothenburg and Christ the King of Cozad Catholic churches celebrated the 50th anniversary of his ordination Sunday during a special liturgy in Gothenburg and dinner at Cozad. Among the special guests attending were William Dendinger, bishop of the Grand Island Diocese, about 15 priests from the diocese, family, former students and longtime friends including members of his graduating class from St. Patrick High School in North Platte. Homilist at the mass was longtime friend, the Rev. Lawrence Fenton, who reflected on Rev. O’Brien’s many years of service to the church. Rev. O’Brien has been pastor of the Gothenburg and Cozad churches for 22 years. He has also served churches in Grand Island, Shelton, Ainsworth and Scottsbluff. He was involved for many years with the Veterans Administration hospital in Grand Island, particularly with the alcohol/drug dependency unit.
- Day care center in church gets special permit
- Husker Heritage tourney returns July 18 with new name
- Borchardt ends career with all-class gold
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Input of farmers’ sought for ’15 crops
- Doctor to join GMH after residency
- After tornado cuts swath through downtown, what do you do?
- ‘Ugly corner’ improvements move forward with city council action