Swedes win in six events at home invite
The Swede speech team advisers wore different hats last Saturday.
Dan Jensen and his assistant Keri Dudley were busy running the Gothenburg Invite in which 19 schools participated.
But that didn’t stop the team from earning top honors in four individual events plus a duet and oral interpretation of drama.
During varsity competition, Cale Moore won his first place in entertainment speaking while teammates Josh Clark and Brennan Costello shared the winner’s circle in persuasive speaking.
Jeramie VanAcker and Chris Block received first in duet acting.
In the novice division, Kayla Trevino won extemporaneous speaking as did the oral interpretation of drama group made up of Alyssa Salem, Lindsay Schnackenberg, Cody Cooper, Ashton Aden and Charlie Grabbing Bear.
Jensen said he thought the contest went well because of help from parents and speech alumni Chauncey Brown and J.C. Meridith who help coach the team.
He also credited the team.
“Our kids are very self-sufficient and got themselves ready, warmed up and competed very well despite the fact that their coaches were preoccupied with running the meet,” Jensen said.
This Saturday, the team will compete at the North Platte Invite.
Other results include:
Find the complete story and individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates