Swede softball team pours it on at the end
Gothenburg girls defeat McCook 9-1.
Gothenburg avenged an earlier loss by defeating McCook 9-1 in a game that ended in the sixth inning Thursday.
McCook scored its only run in the second inning by combining a walk, a sacrifice bunt, a Swede error and a single.
Gothenburg answered in the bottom of the second to tie it up at 1-1.
Vanessa Linegar led off the second with a double to the left-center gap. Pinch runner Hanna Wolf moved to third on a sacrifice bunt and then scored on a ground out by Alisha Ballmer.
Freshman Megan Ruppert, who led the Bison with two doubles, was stranded at second and third. McCook put just one other runner at second base, but that opportunity ended with an infield fly out to Brittyn Munster at second.
The Swedes opened up a 3-1 lead in the fifth inning without the benefit of a hit. Errors allowed both KaTrina Winter and Ali Abramson to reach base. Winter raced home on a wild pitch. Abramson followed on Shelby Eggleston’s sacrifice fly to centerfield.
Four singles powered Gothenburg’s six-run rally that ended the game early during the sixth inning.
Bre Messersmith started on the mound and held McCook to two hits in five innings of action. Amanda Barkmeier threw the final inning in relief.
- Blauvelt learns it’s okay not to be perfect parent
- Pipelines fill stock tanks in rolling hills
- Memorial Day services set at city cemetery
- PASS THE BOOTS
- Messersmith makes the cut for state
- McCook Community College recognizes two Brady graduates
- Village board looking to enzyme to battle grease
- Tim Strauser installed as funeral directors president