Gothenburg boys earn title at Broken Bow CC Invite
Swedes slip past Ogallala.
BROKEN BOW—Saturday’s cross country competition at Broken Bow proved a valuable point for the Gothenburg boys: every runner in every place counts.
The Swedes defeated Ogallala by only one point, 37-38, to take the team title.
“Beating just one runner from the team you’re competing against can make all the difference in the end,” said coach Steve Reeves. “It was a fantastic effort on the boys’ part.”
Three Gothenburg boys earned medals. Luke Rehmert finished fourth with Andrew Collins five-tenths of a second back in fifth and Brett Dockweiler in 12th. Bryce Eggleston was just outside a medal in 16th.
“It was tight the whole time,” Reeves said of Eggleston’s battle against Patrick Wright of Broken Bow and Spencer Ewert of Ogallala. “Bryce ran very strategically to beat them.”
Reeves predicts it will be a slug-fest between Gothenburg, Ogallala and Broken Bow all season and all three are in the C-4 district.
Ogallala’s Sam Adams won the individual title.
The Gothenburg girls were short-handed for this meet, competing with only four runners.
“That’s what we needed to score but we like to have more,” Reeves said.
The Swedes finished in 10th place while McCook took the girls title.
“This was extremely talented competition,” Reeves said.
None of the Swede girls finished with medals and yet they saw improved times from the previous week.
“We will continue to get better,” Reeves said.
Jessa Sughroue fo McCook won the individual title.
Gothenburg travels to Fillmore Central for a meet on Thursday. Start time is 5 p.m.
BOYS TEAM SCORING
1. Gothenburg 37; 2. Ogallala 38; 3. Broken Bow 55; 4. Ainsworth 85; 5. Cozad 99; 6. Gibbon 107; 7. Wood River-Shelton 132; 8. Ord 146; 9. Valentine 151; 10. McCook 156; 11. Minden 203; 12. Maxwell 246; 13. Eustis-Farnam, no team score.
SWEDE VARSITY BOYS
4. Luke Rehmert 16:43
5. Andrew Collins 16:48
12. Brett Dockweiler 17:10
Bryce Eggleston 17:27
Chris Block 18:23
Marcos Avalos 18:52
Eric Stevens 19:00
Jade Clement 19:00
Brandon Wlasiuk 19:08
Alex Spencer 19:12
Brennan Costello 19:50
Justin Larson 20:31
Ray Ramirez 21:06
Jon Rehmert 21:06
Ryan Ostendorf 21:52
Josh Portiner 23:30
Bryan Benash 24:32
GIRLS TEAM SCORING
1. McCook 21; 2. Broken Bow 48; 3. Minden 59; 4. Ainsworth 76; 5. Eustis-Farnam 84; 6. Gibbon 106; 7. Valentine 113; 8. Ord 126; 9. Cozad 157; 10. Gothenburg 171; 11. Wood River-Shelton 172; 12. Maxwell, no team score.
SWEDE VARSITY GIRLS
Tabitha Paul 17:50
Morgan Kowalewski 18:10
Lauren Schmiett 18:15
Ashlee Bruntz 20:04
SWEDE JUNIOR HIGH RESULTS (1 MILE)
Seth Eggleston 6:13
Abbie Mazour 6:42
Jordan Lauer 6:43
Amanda Kowalewski 6:53
Betsy Potter 7:21
Bailey Meyer 7:31
Sean Canas 8:30
- New Methodist pastor takes long road to town
- Time for Farmer’s Market
- Quiz of the day…Will next year’s insurance rates go up or down?
- Bryce Larson competes at new weight class in Maine
- Juniors take aim at club championship
- Climate regs matter to you
- Dawson County shows best, worst of water level changes in NRD
- Prep for fiber begins