Inexperience costly for golfers
Swedes finish 13th.
HOLDREGE—Swede golfers were over-matched at the Holdrege Invite on April 27 as four of the six players were inexperienced in varsity play.
Coach Jim Henke said most of the varsity golfers did not attend since they are limited to 12 events during the season and the Swedes have 13 meets on their schedule.
That inexperience combined with a difficult course left Gothenburg at the bottom of the team standings with a score of 430.
McCook was the meet winner at 318.
The creek running through the first nine holes, two ponds on the back nine and a lot of out-of-bounds areas around the course caused too many penalty strokes, Henke said.
“Despite all the struggles, I hope the guys used this opportunity to play as a learning experience,” he said.
Varsity golfer Jeramie VanAcker shot the low score for the Swedes at 93. Matt Marshall carded 99.
R.J. Flohrs of Hastings was the meet medalist with a score of 74.
Find complete individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Friendship evolves into trip to Sweden
- Beef, wine and more
- Arrest made in April assault reported near Jeffrey Lake
- Dist. 20 students meet or exceed NsEA test standards
- Fund set up for brothers killed Monday in LA.
- Defense makes the difference
- Errors hamper Swedes in opening game loss
- Brady’s ACT scores drop with more students tested