Woman killed, son injured in house fire
Home at 1408 Ave. A destroyed.
A house fire last week that claimed the life of a Gothenburg woman and injured her son is said to have been accidental and electrical in origin.
Marjorie Farnstrom, 80, was killed in the April 28 blaze while her son—55-year-old Robert Farnstrom—is recovering in Lincoln from burns he received.
Gothenburg fire chief Mark Ballmer said the findings of the source of the fire are based on an investigation conducted by local fire department officials and the Nebraska State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Fire fighters were called to the home at 1408 Ave. A at 11:51 p.m.
Upon arrival, Ballmer said they found the house engulfed in flames.
Fire department members extricated Marjorie and Robert from the home.
Both were transported by rescue unit to Gothenburg Memorial Hospital where Ballmer said Marjorie was pronounced dead.
Robert was air lifted to Saint Elizabeth’s Burn Center in Lincoln in critical condition.
On Tuesday, a relative said he had been released and was staying with his brother Jim Farnstrom in Lincoln.
Ballmer said the single-story house was destroyed and that there were no smoke detectors in use.
Marjorie’s obituary appears on page A11.
- Fashion favorites and ‘All That Jazz’
- Wellness Center fund-raising for indoor bikes
- Brady Days celebrates 125th anniversary of village founding
- Development group honors village for its innovation
- Meet your new councilman
- Relay For Life fundraising tops $54,000
- Pushing back against high-priced meds
- Sedlak-Poff champs of member-guest tourney